Checklist for Sellers
Selling a home in the Truckee / Tahoe real estate area can be tricky considering what time of year it is. Knowing how to stage and market in all types of weather and seasons can really make a difference. The Tahoe area is known for a variety of outdoor activities in the Summer and Winter and marketing to the right demographic in each season takes skill and seasoned experience.
If you are selling in the Summer:
- Keep all grass perfectly green and trimmed
- Add flowers and contrasting colors that make your home stand out. Choose one color and run with it.
- Make sure all steps to the front door are clear, clean and painted if need be.
- Allow easy access for parking remembering that some agents will not drive their buyers to the home by may meet them there and need extra parking.
- If it’s warm out, keep windows cracked to allow for fresh air to circulate.
- Add a pitcher of iced tea or some refreshing looking glasses on the porch, deck or just the table to give the appearance of a relaxing place to unwind after a bike trip, hiking excursion or water skiing trip.
If you are selling in the Winter:
- Keep driveways and walk ways cleared of snow and have salt or sand down to avoid any slips from potential buyers or agents
- If you have a fire place, turn it on or light it up just before a showing to give the appearance of a warm and cozy home.
- Have throws and pillows across couches and chairs for added warmth.
- Leave a book half opened with a mug next to it near a fireplace or window.
- Create the atmosphere of a warm and inviting resort on a cold day.
- Keep fresh flowers in the bathrooms and near beds for a relaxing feel.
- Have a bottle of wine and 2 glasses set out to showcase the home’s relaxing environment.
Anytime of the year selling tips:
- Make sure each room is set up for what it was originally designed for.
- Allow enough space for easy movement of at least 4 people throughout the house. You don’t want buyers to feel crowded when touring the home.
- Keep the house as neat and clean as possible.
- Pack up about half the house if you can to give the appearance of plenty of space and storage.
- Take out any personal belongings, collections or photos. People need to see the house not you.
- Remember to leave the property when there is showing to allow the buyers to browse the home in peace and not feel awkward if they want to discuss features to themselves.
Every Truckee and Tahoe home is different and needs to be staged and set up in this way. Contact me anytime for a more tips on staging your particular Truckee home or Tahoe real estate.